It's a Wrap!
We work with the film and television industry to green their locations through food recovery. HBO, Showtime and NBC/Universal currently arrange for food recovery from film and TV shoots. We also recover food from live performances, such as the traveling production of Cirque du Soleil’s Alegria, Broadway’s Billy Elliot and the NY Grammy Party.
We determine if we have the minimum amount of food made available to us at the locations where the projects are being filmed. We set up meetings with the production manager and the caterer. We then identify agencies that are in the position to recover food that is prepared but not served or sold. NBC/Universal has made a corporate commitment to green their projects by hiring a Director of Sustainable Productions. HBO and Showtime heard RWU speak at film greening conferences and have joined.
Program Details - Food Recovery Guidelines for Film and Television Shoots (updated 2011)
Rock and Wrap It Up! is a global think tank working to reduce poverty. Using greening tactics, we recover food and other assets to be given to agencies fighting poverty, increasing their operating budgets. This allows the agencies to hire more services such as tutors, social workers, job placement counselors, green collar job training and mental health counselors to attack the root causes of poverty. Rock and Wrap It Up! vets its partnering recovery anti-poverty agencies. These agencies must have health certificates, transportation, refrigeration, cell phones, storage and an on-going program.
Rock and Wrap It Up! encourages the recovery food that has been prepared but not served to be donated to agencies fighting hunger and poverty. This tactic helps to feed the hungry in our communities as well as green a movie, television or commercial set. Tax deductions are available.
All Donors are protected from liability by the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Act. (Pub. L. No 104-210, 110 Stat. 3011(1996). The U.S. also passed the Federal Food Donation Act of 2008 to encourage federal agencies to donate excess for to the poor. (Pul. L. 110-247 122 Stat. 2314(2008)
This act encourages federal buildings to donate all edible leftover food to those in need and keep it out of landfill. This landmark law is now being introduced to state governments to further keep food out of landfill and feed those in need. We ask that your movie sets follow the example of our governmental buildings.
- Rock and Wrap It Up! asks that your production contact give us approximately 1-2 weeks notice prior to a food recovery opportunity when in a new location. This will give us time to partner your catering and craft services with the agency that will recover the food.
- We will need the name and phone number of the contact person on your set.
- The minimum amount of food that is our threshold is 25 meals in the aggregate, from breakfast, lunch and dinner combined. There is no limiting maximum amount.
- We will recover only food that is prepared but not served. No Items will be taken from a hot buffet if they have been on the hot buffet line.
- We will take the trays that are refrigerated and back up the buffet.
- All items that are refrigerated can be recovered.
- We will take short dated items. We cannot take items whose expiration date has passed.
- All unused bakery items that do not require refrigeration are recoverable. Non-perishable items are recoverable.
- Food should be wrapped by catering/craft services and be ready to travel. We recommend the use of gallon size zip lock bags to keep food fresh and clean. This minor expense will be borne by catering/craft services. The receiving agency will bear all transportation expenses.
- Also recoverable are all unused paper and plastic service products.
- On the last day of the shoot, we would be interested in all condiments, spice, herbs, closed cereal boxes and raw product.
- All partnering recipient agencies have been vetted by Rock and Wrap It Up!
The goal of this program is to recover as many assets as possible to both feed those who hunger and further green our planet. We would also be interested in clothing and other hard assets for our agencies fighting poverty.
It's a Wrap! Partnerships
- MTV Networks
- NY Grammy Party
- Warner Bros. Entertainment
- Sony Pictures Television
- Paramount Studios
- CBS Television Studios
- New Line Cinema
Productions that have participated in the Rock and Wrap It Up! It's a Wrap! program include:
- Cirque du Soleil's traveling production of Allegria
- Billy Elliot on Broadway
- It's Complicated
- You Don't Know Jack
- It's Kind of a Funny Story
- Law and Order
- In Plain Sight
- Covert Affairs
- Premium Rush
- The Miraculous Year
- Fair Game
- The Good Wife
- Bored To Death
- New Years Eve
- Boardwalk Empire
- Royal Pains
- Finchley Dreams aka The Dictator
- Gods Behaving Badly
- Marcher aka Bourne Legacy
- Pan Am
- 30 Rock
- Blue Bloods
- The 22
- Gossip Girl
- The Mentalist
- Law and Order SVU
We can be reached at 516-295-0670 www.rockandwrapitup.org